An Old South Downs Christmas
A charity evening of folk songs, carols, readings, mince pies and mulled wine!
Start the Christmas season off with an evening of seasonal carols, songs and readings. The South Downs Society invite you to join them for an evening with folk singing trio, Emily and the Hares, who will present a selection of beautiful and rousing Christmas and wintertime songs and carols, once popular in the South Downs, some of which date back to medieval times. They will also be reading evocative seasonal descriptions, from such great South Downs writers as Hilaire Belloc, Rudyard Kipling and Edward Thomas. Plenty of opportunity for audience participation, helped along with mulled wine and mince pies!
The event is open to the public as well as South Downs Society members. It takes place on Tuesday 17 December at All Saints Centre in Lewes and starts at 7.15 p.m. Tickets (which include mulled wine and mince pies) are £9.50 each. Funds raised go to help the work of the South Downs Society (a registered charity). Tickets are limited and must be purchased in advance.
Jane Major from the South Downs Society says “The evening promises to be a treat for all those with a love for the spirit of the Downs and for Christmas past. Last year we ran this event in Hampshire and it was a sell out, so buy your tickets soon!”
Buying raffle tickets is one way you can support our work. It will ensure that, both now and for generations to come, many thousands of people will continue to enjoy the peace and beauty of the South Downs. Every contribution is needed and very much appreciated, plus you could win any of the following fantastic prizes:
– Free family ticket to Uppark House & Gardens (National Trust)
– A round of golf for four players at Cowdray Park Golf Club
– Meal for two (including a bottle of house wine) at The Spotted Cow, Farnham
– Complimentary family ticket to the Weald and Downland Museum
– Kenwood Triblade Superfast Hand Blender
– A round of golf for two players at Eastbourne Downs Golf Club
– Two complimentary tickets to see the Constable Exhibition at Petworth House (National Trust)
– £20 RSPB Voucher
– £50 meal voucher for The Halfway Bridge Inn, Lodsworth
– A four ball midweek round of golf at Hockley Golf Club
– A complimentary spa treatment at The Stillroom, Lewes
– Free family entry ticket to Marwell Zoo
– Two for one voucher at Lewes Golf Club
– South Downs Songs CD – Live at the Burpham Sessions, plus two tickets to ‘An Old South Downs Christmas’ evening.
– A selection of wine and beer including drinks from Harveys Brewery and Tescos
– A round of golf at West Hove Golf Club
– Liberty Art Fabrics notepad and pen
– Meal for two (including a bottle of house wine) at The Greyfriar, Chawton
To purchase your tickets please call the office on 01798 875073.